Sunday, May 1, 2011

Drivers

It is always a challenge to drive in my neck of the woods. So much traffic, we are on the 95 corridor between Main and Florida, there is construction - always. There are idiot drivers. Some who hug the left lane going below the posted speed limit, some who think they are on the Indy track. I got rid of my sports car and bought a truck for that very reason. Not economical in the gas area, but at least I know I will be safer. As proven by the accident I had almost exactly one year ago when some stupid woman rear ended me - on the interstate - I was stopped as was the rest of the traffic, she had maybe slowed down to 55. My poor truck took a beating, but TinkerDaughter and I were fine, and we fixed the truck (kinda).

Yesterday the family was out on a chore. Unfortunately the four people in my family were all in separate vehicles - hated chore cleaning out a house. I left first, TinkerBoy2 was behind me, TinkerDaughter behind him and then Mr. Tinkerpro and his brother (also in separate vehicles) were a few minutes behind us.

TinkerSon2, being of the Indy frame of mind passed me on the highway. I was doing a sedate 55 because I wasn't in a hurry, he apparently was. I crested a hill and saw brake lights coming on fast and furious, so was able to slow down, then I saw on the right, a small SUV with it's nose into the guard rail so that it's back end was in the far right lane just a tad. There was a truck already pulled over before it, there was a new audi right past it pulled over and then TinkerBoy2 was pulled over next.
So of course not thinking, I pulled right over as well, and before I could get out of my truck, TinkerDaughter is stopping in front of me.

TinkerBoy2 is now looking under the SUV that wrecked, and after ascertaining that my boy was fine (of course he was said he only saw it didn't get hit) I went to check on the driver. A woman who was laughing pretty hard and her poor 12 yearoldish daughter crying. I asked the driver if she was okay and her poor daughter if she was hurt? Nope, scared the piss out of them, but they were fine, they declined my offer of water, but then I saw a construction worker bringing them bottles. After asking TinkerBoy2 if he really was fine, because you know your kids will lie to you if they think they are "protecting" you from something, TinkerDaughter and I took off. My phone was rining off the hook. Mr. Tinkerpro saw us all pulled over but he was in the far left lane and couldn't get over safely, so he was on the next exit and turning around. I assured him all was well, we were all on our way home. He said later, that he had to drive by the scene, and in the maybe 5 minutes from the time I left to the time he went by, there were 2 cops, 3 fire trucks and a fourth was coming he could see from rearview mirror. Glad they got there fast, that isn't a situation I'd want to be in for sure.

At home, come to find out, TinkerBoy2 was in 3rd lane, new audi was in 2nd lane and SUV was in far left lane, TinkerBoy2 said he heard the tire of SUV pop and she immediately startes swerving, so he hit the brakes, and now understands what it means when you put both feet on the brake, hold it to the floor, lock your brakes and pray. He drives a big, heavy truck. Short stops are not really on the agenda. He started to swerve to the right but then saw the audi, so prayed. SUV apparently spun in two complete circles before ending up where she did. He is sure that his driving skills (see indy wannabe reference above) and that as the SUV was spinning he could see the driver with her arms locked against the wheel and she was screaming. He said the whole think went in slow motion. I told him I'd be screaming too. It is very fortunte that she didn't hit anyone or flip over.

I sure hope May is calmer.

No comments: