Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

We don't really "do" valentines day in my house. Oh, I always got the kids a little box of candy and put it on their bed for when they woke up, but nothing much else. DH and I didn't exchange any gifts, although he is better about getting me a card, or making me one. Me? Not so much. In fact, DD stopped by after work and before school tonight to get her valentine candy. Oops. Well, I've got one for her now, she can have it tomorrow.

I always told DH that I was more interested in being loved all the days of the year, and us doing special things together at random times during the year, and not saving it all up for just one night - I've found that planning and anticipating a "special event" is a sure way to be disappointed, pissed off, sad, or otherwise it just doesn't work out the way we had hoped it would. That's why I don't celebrate my birthday, mothers day, I gave up 4th of July picnics, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Oh, we acknowledge the days, have a family meal, but nothing extra special.

So here's my challenge. For he next 364 days, see who you can love and home many times during the next year you let them know they are special, loved and cherished by you. And be sure to love yourself too.

Don't save it for just one day.

No comments: