Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mybe I really WASN'T There

I have been working on taxes. I know, but might as well get them done now, if I owe, and I have for the past several years, might as well be prepared, I still don't have to mail them until the 14th.

Army boy asked me to do his asap because he knew he would get a refund, and he needs the money. Not a problem, I got them done in a couple of hours, he doesn't have much, but they were a little tricky this year. I use turbotax so I just pulled last years into this years, plugged in some numbers and walaha it was done and ready to email out.

Less than 24 hours later, I get an email from turbotax that his return was rejected because the birthdate on the form, didn't match the birthdate that they had on file. Huh? I looked, yep, seemed right to me, and I didn't change anything from 2009, just put new income numbers in. Huh. So I checked again, and then called IRS to see what they had and why it was different. Of course the very nice young man said he coudn't discuss Army Boy's tax return with me because . . . I wasn't Army Boy. Bah! So I said, I'm sure this is right, I was there. And asked if I could just mail them in. IRS dude said sure.

Then I got to thinking, if they still thought the dates didn't match, it would just be rejected by mail, which would take more time. So, I stared at that form and date for a long time. Then I yelled upstairs to Army Boy's twin brother "Hey! What is your birth date?" He came downstairs, looked at me and then told me.

Huh, I had the month and day right, but apparently I had the year confused with their sister's.

I do remember that was a tramatic day, my water broke 5 weeks early, and labor was only about 3 hours, and Army Boy was blue when he was born. I also remember distinctly that I went to the hospital expecting to come home with one baby and ended up with two.

And why does it cost money to file your state tax by email? Meh, I'll mail them regular, for the cost of postage and an envelope - which is way less than the $19.95 they wanted, and He'll still get his refund before the end of March . . . cuz how many people have filed their state taxes that aren't due until May 1st?

No comments: