Thursday, August 19, 2010

Age

A few years ago I had an acquaintance whose mother joined the Peace Corps.   She went to China for a year.   She was 85 years old.   I thought that was the most wonderful thing I had heard and said I wanted to be just like her when I grew up . . . I was approaching my 50th birthday.   So I started eating better, exercising more, that one has fallen by the wayside a bit, and decided while I may not want to go to China with the Peace Corps when I'm 85, I want to know that I can.   I at least want to be able to get down on the floor easily and play with any grandchildren that might come along in the future . . . pleasedeargod not too soon though.

Why is it that we continue to believe old people need extra help?   I know some are very frail and do, but just because you look old and sound old doesn't necessarily mean you FEEL old.  And don't get me started on the people who shout at the elderly and call them "hon". 

I was walking back to my office today after lunch and an elderly woman was asking a student how to get to the bus for King Street.   He didn't know.   So I told her walk down this way, go to the main road and the bus stop is right there on your right.  I'm not sure which bus she needed but that was her only option and they all go that direction, she may have needed to change buses, unless she meant the subway station, then she was good.   She said thank you very much and off she went with a smile on her face.   It wasn't terribly hot today, she was dressed correctly and had a wide brimmed straw hat on.   It is maybe a 5 minute walk if you're not in a hurry. 

I almost went to find my car and drive her.   Then I rembered my vow and  reminded myself that just because you are "old" you aren't helpless.   She seemed to have all her facilities about her and seemed perfectly capable of taking the bus which will go straight down to where she needs to be.

I've been reading CLEAN because I've wondered about a detox diet or plan that doesn't include taking a punch of pills or having water "flushed" through your system.   Now I just need to pull myself up and get brave.   I'm going to start with the pre-detox plan and while I'm not positive I can do an entire three weeks, I know I can do one week of the plan.  Maybe two.   

Let the juicing begin.

1 comment:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Ummm, good luck with the "juicing"...