Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year and my Kitchen Floor

So many possibilities.  So little time.  Isn't it odd how you look forward to each new morning, weekend, week, month, year?  You have expectations, all the things you want to do, see, accomplish  .  .  .  then all of a sudden that time is over.

You wake up each morning and say I'm going to do this today.  Then by thend of the day, nada.  I finally learned not to plan too much of aything specific especially on the weekends, because that seems to sabotoge my entire day.  I have a general idea of what I want to do, and even will set the timer for 15 minutes and get started.   Sometimes when the timer goes off I quit and never go back, sometimes I keep going.  Depends on how much fun I'm having and seeing how much I accomplished.  And sometimes I'm done. 

I've tried all the tricks, make a reasonable list, put all the tasks in a bowl and pick one at a time.  Nope, can't seem to get it done.  I've discovered that if I PLAN to get something done, I don't do it.  Once I declared over a long weekend that I was going to clean the basement.  I'd like to paint the walls in the laundry room, but it needs cleaned out first.   I had three days and no other plans.   You know what I did?   I took every window of out  my house and washed it.  Then scrubbed the window sills.   I had lived in my house 20 years and had never washed my windows.   I decided I really must not have wanted to clean my basement. 

I joined Flylady 7 years ago.  While she has helped me a lot, I still seem to procrastinate a lot and must now think that perhaps I am a perfectionsit and just don't know it.   That is a little hard to wrap my head around, because while I'm not  lazy, I sure would have never thought I had a perfectionst problem.   That would be my sister.   But maybe we just show it in different ways.   So, while things are still in a state of disarray and I don't get everything accomplished that I think I should, I must say that the house looks 60% better than it use to, most of the time, and I'm less stressed about it and people dropping by.  When I gt a habit down, I seem to be able to stick with it better, so I guess the answer here is to pick one new routine/habit a month or two and stick with it until it is automatic.  Doh.  That's what Flylady says to do, why don't I just listen to her?

So, for all the things that I wanted to get accomplished this week while I was not working, I am going to let them go now.  I will make this weekend a "normal" weekend and not look at it as the end of wasted time off because it really wasn't wasted.  I kept the house clean during Christmas, we had all the kids home for most of the time.  There wasn't too muc drama, there was food for every meal and no one both a bloody nose or their feelings hurt.  Everyone is back here they are suppose to be and we survived New Years Eve.  And while I didn't go visit my mother as I have planned to do all month, I am relaxed.   I'm not feeling tired, stressed out or overwhelmed.   I'm content.

So, on this first day of the new year, I am going to change my attitude and game plan.  Instead of resolutions, which I don't keep anyway and find rather stresful and silly, I will start a monthly goal.   And every month I will either recommit to my previous montly goal or add another one.  January is the goal of keeping my kitchen floor clean.  I am good with the counters and sink and table.   They are always wiped down, dishes in the dishwasher and emptied in a timely manner, but for some reason my dirty little secret is my kitchen floor.  Your feet won't stick to it, but still, it is white.  It truly needs to be swept and mopped every night.  It doesn't take long, it isn't that big.   I have stickers out the wazoo, so every night I will get a sticker for my kitchen floor being cleaned.   I will count my success days at the end of the month and we will see just how well I did. 

February, maybe we'll try for two new habits.

Apparently, the cats snuck out last night and had a party.


So happy new year to everyone, and rock on!

No comments: