Monday, January 17, 2011

Lessons of Life

No, not  knitting, although that is moving right along, and while I'd hoped to have pictures today, no.   Not yet.

This life lesson is being experienced by DS.    He is coaching a youth basketball league through our church.   Not sure why they asked him, except he is a youth group leader, but he isn't a dad, he doesn't even play basketball.   Lacrosse was his sport.   But he willingly said okay, I'll figure it out (because that is what I end up saying all the time).     His little group of 6 boys, the smalles group in the league, only had two practices together before their first game.   He channeled his inner Coach P from high school lax days.   Coach P was a force to be reconed with.  Big dude.  Loud dude.  Slave driver dude.   But he did care and everyone knew it, and he got results.    So with that in mind, DS made practice fun, but fundamental.   Lots of drills, strategy and game plays.    

This is a league that doesn't keep score.    It is one of those feel good leagues.   And yes, they have their place in life, and I guess for a chruch event, it is a good thing.   But totally foreign to my family.   No score?   Harumph.   But we move on.    The first game, his team won 6 - 2 (even though there is no official score) you know the boys and parents know who is ahead.   He was very pleased with his boys, but a bit frustrated by the refs.   Who once it was apparent that one team was better than the other, started calling odd things on DS team and letting things slide for the other team.

DS is not a very patient person.   And he has a definite sense of right and wrong.   Something I'd like to think we fostered in all our kids.   So, his frustration level was pretty high at the end of the night.   But he channeled his inner adultness and told his boys they did a great job, he was very proud of them and they did everything right.   (Thanks Coach P).    Game two was worse.   Score (that isn't really kept) was 12 - 2.   And the refs were even harder on the team.    They didn't talk to DS after the first break, but did tell the boys that they weren't allowed to do lay ups anymore.   So DS was pissed that the refs won't even talk to him, and that the are changing the rules for his team.   

He studied the rule book for this league, he makes sure that he is following the rules (right and wrong issues here), he is learning how to coach and control his temper, which is a biggie for this one.    But he's right.   Unfortunately for the refs and the other teams, he is also a tricky one.   So, he has already formed his practice stragety for this week.    His boys won't be doing layups anymore, and I don't even think they were practicing them, but I can guarantee that they will be better than last week in their strategy and game.  

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to start going to these games just to be sure he doesn't do something "inappropriate".     I'm proud of my boy, I've raised him well.   But I also know that there comes a point when he just can't control his temper anymore.    He can be pretty frightening cuz his a big guy, but one thing I do know, is that if I stand within his sight, he will bite his tongue lest mine starts.  And I'm thinking those boys of his need an extra cheering section.

No comments: