Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saturday Dinner

It is a known fact that while I like to cook, sometimes, my meals are sporatically good and when I experiment (which is often) they are sometimes not fit for a dog.   I usually see something new that sounds good and either follow it to the letter, eveyone loves it, I lose the recipie so then improvise and it is never the same, or I improvise from the get-go. 

Since we're improving our  diets at home, I love soup and it is cold outside and I  saw a recipie on line yesterday, today seemed like a perfect day to try a new dish.    I knew there was meatloaf  in the refrigerator just in case.

I soaked black beans last night in chicken broth, added a little water before I went to bed and this morning they seemed good and wet.   Then I heated a soup pot and browned 1 large chopped onion, two grated  carrots and a couple stalks of celery in olive oil.   I added two heaping spoonfulls of minced garlic, some red pepper flakes, chili powder and fried for a few minutes.   Added the beans, the another box  of beef broth and  one can of diced tomatoes.  

Then I decided it should go into the crock pot.   I cooked it on low for 7 hours, and about  5, added a can of corn and a cup of  small pasta shells that I boiled on the stove for a few minutes first. and turned the crock onto high for about an hour.

I put some soup in the bowls, topped with a little shaved parmesan cheese.

Oh. My.

My picky eaters are on thirds.    I was hoping that there would be enough for my lunch this week.   Guess not.

SCORE!

No comments: