Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stranger Danger

This is what hangs on the end of my purse:


Yep, its a voo doo doll.   I have several.  I think they are just cool, great and different.  And fun.   Rarely does anyone say anything about him.  In fact the only person who has ever mentioned him was someone I was having lunch with one day and she said "what is that"   Voo Doo Doll I replied.   She just looked at me and said okay.  I said I like him and he stays with me.  My purse sits on my desk sometimes.   No one says anything or notices.  

Okay, maybe I'm a little quirky.   I like being different.   I have a different persona for whatever the occasion calls for.   Sometimes I allow two to merge.  I behave and dress in a professional way at work.   I wear comfy leggings at home.   At a fiber event, I'm really happy wearing a long skirt.  I made a good hippie.   I was raised as a proper officer's daughter back in the day.   However my dad relished my uniqueness and encouraged it.   I felt lucky and blessed that he allowed me to forge my own path (as long as it was legal).  So yes, I have voo doo dolls almost one for every purse or knitting bag I carry . . . and I gotta get some more now that I think about it.

I was at the market at lunch time today grabbing something to scarf down.   The cashier saw my bag and reached out to touch and said what the heck is that?   A voo doo doll I replied.   He said why?   I said because I think they are great.   The woman behind me got a little upset.  He got a little upset and stepped back.    I looked at him and said they are not bad nor are they evil..   The lady behind me said  it was very strange and wrong.

I almost said thank you.  But I think that would have gone over her head.  They were still discussing the matter as I walked out.  

I also carry my keys on a lanyard that said bail bondsman on them with the 800 number.   One of our friends is a bail bondsman and I am glad to offer free advertising for him.   Plus it's bright orange and black so I find it amusing.  I get a lot of comments about my key chain.  People laugh and then ask why I would carry such a thing.   Why not?   It got your attention and I like it.

Every day just confirms to me that I need to move away from the city and people.  Yep, I'm sure there's gossip and pettiness and all the rest in a small town.   But on my land, I can sit on the porch and enjoy the silence and maybe if I'm lucky I'll become the weird woman who comes into town sometimes.

No comments: