Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Great Wheel Debate

Well, I decided a few weeks ago that I really wanted a great wheel.   Don't know why I've wanted one for a long time though.   I found a couple on Craigslist near my mom, so when I came down to check up on her I went to look at one.   When I inquired of the guy selling it if it was in working order, he said well I think so.    it's old and has a great history.  I noticed he wanted 350 on his August listing, but then he had put it on line in July and only wanted 300.  I figured I could offer a little less, then pay the 300 if it was a go.

  Sooooooooo, I went to see my local  spinning guru at Misty Mountain Farm to get some quick tips on what to look for and how to use a great wheel.   I felt ready.   So we treked 20 miles frm mom's and were just on the outskirts of the apple festivel traffic.    SO glad I hadn't planned on being in that particular town I had no idea it was apple festival weekend and oh my, was it crowded. 

Anyway, got to the guy's house, walked in his living room, there in the corner in all it's glory was a great wheel.   From 50 feet it looked good.   I noticed the spindle was missing.   Hmmm, I had brought some cotton and roving to try it out, and I figured he wouldn't have a drive band on it.   Nope, he didnt.   He didn't have all the parts either.   Then I started looking at the wheel, there were splinters and patches, then when I got another angle, there ws a hole in the wheel that would have caught the drive band every time until I cracked the hole all the way through.    I was looking, looking for any redeming value, and he says it's really old, and should have great history.   I guess it wasn't anyone's wheel that he actually knew, he just figured it was old and therefore had history.   Well yes, I suppose that would be true.

I told him I was looking at another one in the afternoon and I'd get back to him.    Abut 20 minutes after we left, I got a text message from him saying he had found a spindle on line, the same color and period, and it wasn't very much he'd be glad to help me get it if I wanted him to.     Yeah, no thanks.

I then reasoned in my own very special way, that while I WANT a Great Wheel.   I NEED a drum carder, and I'd LIKE a wolliewinder.   So instead of getting something I truly don'thave time to deal with right now, and don't need, perhaps it would be wiser of me to get the things I DO need and have immediate use for?

Wow!   There's a concept isn't it?

No comments: