Saturday, September 11, 2010

Wine and Spinning

No, they don't go together well for the most part.   I'm enjoying a glass of wine right now for a winery I checked out near my mom's house last weekend in Western NC.  They only sell bottles if you go to their shop but the wine tasting of 6 varities for $5 per person was reasonable, and we each bought 2 bottles.   That was after we were at anothr winery up the street where we paid the same price for 7 varities and got to keep the wine glass.   And we each bought 2 bottles.    A family who knits and drinks wine together stays together.

I spent the better part of today working on my spinning skills in silk and cotton.   I'm a mediocre spinner at best and can make great artyarn for which I am not trying to make.   I like the silk bells and hankies becuase I tend to be a very thin spinner, which means, I have a hard time making anything other than lace weight, but at least can ply it thicker.   So the silk is good for that, and I was fairly consistent.   But after awhile my hands got tired and I got sloppy.   Then there were blends.   Why I though it would be a good idea to spin bamboo I don't know.  I'm making a sample project for a dyer who gave me bamboo and I HATE IT.  It is too slippery and I've tried every type of needle available.   It makes me tired although it isn't leaping off the needles so much anymore.   And we tried some dying that was fun and while I'm color challenged, I think I did well.   When I find the camera, I'll take pictures.

1 comment:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

We wanna see pictures of the spinning! I am a "fledgling" spinner, and I just thrive on all the info and pics I can get!...I have never thought of silk...still trying to master wool!