Thursday, September 9, 2010

September Is Banned Book Month

So go google the list, or check at your local library becuse some libraries post the list and pull the books and put them in a prominent place so that you can easily access those books for your reading pleasure.

Censorship is alive and well all over the world as we are painfully aware.    I think this weekend I'll be reading extra so that I can get at least one "unacceptable" book read.   I really wonder about those who think they can tell anyone else what to read or not read.   Really.   Fortunately my parents were very progressive for their time and encouraged me to follow my own path.   I probably read some stuff I shouldn't have until I was older, but that doesn't seem to have warped me as an adult.   Or maybe it did and I just don't know it.

Harry Potter made the list.  Hmmm, well I won't read the books becuase I've seen the movies.  But maybe the Chocolate War by Robert Cormer, what can be better than reading about chocolate?   Yeah, I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's the kind of reader I am, if the title catches my attention, it goes on the lets give it a try list.    Sorta like the way I buy wine, if the label is pretty, I'll get a bottle to try.

Fanny Hill, haven't read that in a long time.  
The Kite Runner, have that on my list already anyway (banned?)   hmmm.  
The Awakening.   Actually I'm starting that this week because my daughter is reading it for a history
    class and having trouble, so I told I'd read it too and help her out.  score.   
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.   Nope.  Everytime I hear that, Jack Nicholson's face pops into
    my head. 
East of Eden, read it, saw the movie. 

Happy reading!

No comments: