Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Kitchen Appliances

Ya know, you buy a new appliance, you expect everything to be just peachy. I've replaced my refrigerator and washing machine both. Hooked them up, turned them on, a thing of beauty. I ordered a new dishwasher a few weeks ago. Paid extra for Saturday delivery, and no they didn't need to hook it up, we'd take care of that, just haul the old one out please. Friday night took the old dishwasher out and left it in the middle of the kitchen floor. I keptthe bottom rack thinking that I'd need to do dishes for about a day until we had time to hook the new one up. Planned to be home all morning saturday since they said the window of delivery was between 9:45 am and noon. Not a problem, there's always things to do at home. They arrived at 8:35 a.m. It was starting out to be a fantastic day! I should have known.

Once it was in, we rearranged our day a little, went out and did some work elsewhere and figured we'd hook the new one up that afternoon. Well, it was really Sunday before we got to it, but it was done relatively easily, turned in on to the rinse cycle as directed by the instructions, no leaks under the sink, the water filled up just fine, it is quiet even without all the sound barrier stuff ont the bottom installed yet. . . left it out just in case. No water underneath. High Five.

Then we noticed the cat's feet were wet. Huh? Then I stepped in a puddle of water off the the side and coming from under the cabinet. Not the side where the sink and hoses are. ARGGGGG. Stopped the dishwasher, unscrewed it from the wall, pulled it out, couldn't figure it out, everything underneath was dry! However, the was water dripping out of the grey plastic box on the left side. Huh? Got a long piece of hose, hooked the water line back up, ran the rinse cycle again and immediately water started puring out of the plastic box - the one with wires attached to it. Not good.

Called the store 800 number where we purchased it, on a sunday evening of a holiday weekend. phone was answered, calls routed to India. I have no problem with anyone, but they can't do anything but repeat how sorry they are that I'm having a problem and cut me off. It took 35 minutes and 6 transfers to get someone who could only say (after I'm sorry you're having a problem) that service would be able to come out Tuesday between 8:30 and noon to look at and it probably wasn't hooked up correctly. Please tell me, oh never mind.

So, here I sit, after paying extra to have a new appliance delivered over the weekend, missing work time waiting for a reapirperson. I've left the dishwasher in the middle of the floor so that he/she can run it and see what the problem is and not assume that we're too stupid to hook it up and make sure the connections are tight.

The only thing I'm really wondering about is was this actually a new appliance or did they send me one that was returned? When we opened the door for the first time, it definately had water in it. I assumed that was from testing it before packing, but I dunno.

No comments: