Sunday, February 9, 2014

February

The month that FlyLady says to de-clutter.   A wise choice of things to do in this cold and dreary month.    I like winter.   I like snow.  Unfortunately, we get the cold and the dreary, but usually the snow is just a teaser.    Oh, we see snow flakes now and again, but usually we get sleet and ice.    Which is nice for delayed school openings, or being closed altogether.  I'd rather have the snow.  But at least in winter I can wear the sweaters I love to knit.

As for the de-cluttering, I'm all about that.   This month marks the first time in close to 30 years that there are no offspring living under my roof.    The last child has flown the coop so to speak.    Of course, they are all close by and they still come over often - usually when they are out of money and need to eat, but nonetheless, they do come over.    The kids still have a few things here that need to go.   And honestly I was so tempted to load my truck up yesterday with some of their stuff and deposit it in their respective abode when I knew no one was home.    But I did not.

I am using this prompt to start the purge and replace phase of my life.  To be fair I am starting with my knitting/craft room.   It needs help just as much as every other room in the house.   I have tossed a ton of stuff I know I will never reference or use.   Even as I was going through it all I asked, why did I keep this again?    Of course no fiber is being hurt in this process.  I would never dispose of that.

So woman cave now, then I'll move to the next room, decisions decisions.   I've even thought of moving it to another room, but think I'll stay where I am.  Starting with the one room has allowed me to roam from room to room at random times, pick something up and decide, keep or go?    I've got a box started for the rummage sale at church next month.   The youth hold a huge event every spring, and raise a lot of money that helps support their trips and other programs.   Every year I find one or two things to donate, I think this year there will be a LOT more.

It is nice to be able to finally stop keeping stuff for "someday" and "because so-n-so gave it to me".    Stuff finally no longer holds me hostage.  I have my memories and I can either free a tangible item  from my home to bless someone else, or send to the dump because it isn't worth passing along.  

I am working slowly, so may not get it all done in February, but bet I'll have a good start.



No comments: