Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day Off

Today we woke up to the snow so hoped for.   I know, a lot of people don't like the snow, and it is a lot of hard work.   But I live in an area where we are teased about snow every winter.    The weather guy says it is coming, everyone gets excited, then poof.   Either it stays just south, goes north and west or is just plain rain.    I get that our weather guys cover a LARGE area, and we have mountains an hour away, and I get that we are in a weird spot on the equator that makes the line such a hard thing to pin point.   And people laugh when they hear about the weather rock in my yard.   But then after a second they agree, it is probably most accurate way to tell what it is doing outside.

The weather rock has been a family joke for years.   The kids get up and want to know what it is like outside before going to school.   check the rock.  Is it wet?   Then it is probably raining.   Is it hot to touch?   Then it is probably hot outside.   You get the picture. 

I also did today what I promised myself I wouldn't do.  Shoveled too much.    I tried to remember to be careful and only shovel in layers - since we have about a foot of snow, and I let the guys with the snow blower do most of the work.   Just not near my truck.   and the front steps are rather a shovel area, not snow blower area.    And we always go up and shovel the elderly couple out just in case, so again, steps and around the car.   I only do one of their cars, the other they wait for melting.    And now I ache.    Sure hope we don't work tomorrow either.   Although if we're closed, I'll probably go in for a little while just to get caught up on stuff.   But then I don't know why.   No one else will.....

And knitting.   I've been working on a sweater.    I should have been done by now and I was ready to start on the sleeves, but after I put the shoulders together and the collar on, I tried it on.    Unblocked it was too tight and I was afraid I wouldn't get it stretched out enough.    So riiiiiiiip it out.    And start again,   There is 3" of ribbing on the bottom.   about 16" of plain knitting, and then the pattern across the top.   I got the back done and everything matches.   I have now done the front pattern part three, count them THREE times.    I'm a little discouraged.   On the other hand, I know the pattern pretty well now, and have though about reducing some of it to make a special little boy a sweater for Christmas (because I probably won't get around to it until next fall).    So The pattern repeat is 2 times of 17 rows and then when you split for the collar in front, you've got to get funky with the pattern to make it match (where I seem to be challenged).    Lifelines this time.    ugggg

No comments: