Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Busy

It has been a busy few weeks, which is no reason to neglect the blog, but there you go. TinkrArmySon was home for a few weeks, and then last week we finally found someone to take out a tree from the back yard. Not just any tree. A good 80' white oak that was too close to the house. We have talked about taking that tree out for most of the 27 years we have lived in this house. Now it is pushing at the wall in the basement so it was time.

First three estimates were anywhere from $4,700 to $5,500. No. The guys last fall who were working next door said $2,000. But they weren't able to prove they had insurance and I wasn't too sure about their skill. Sure my insurance would cover an accidental tree dropped on my house, but it wouldn't cover their life and limb. Two weeks ago, a friend had a tree removed and so I asked the guy to come estimate. First he said $3,800, we countered with $3,500. Then the dad, who actually does the climgbing - did I mention the entire thing had to be roped down? He countered with $3,750 after they looked at it for about 15 minutes. Done. They came back the next day to look again and sighed. We agreed to up it to $3,900. It is a BIG tree. Fully in bloom, not any dead branches. Tall. Did I mention it was tall? I haven't had sun in my back yard for over 20 years. I grow moss and ferns and hosta, no grass. No matter what. Even shady grass wouldn't grow.

First they were going to come Wednesday, then called because it was too hot. Yeah, 99 with 80 percent humidity is hot and I didn't want anyone in a tree with chain saws who might get sick from heat. So then they said Friday, fine. Then they called Friday and said a regular customer called and had a tree on their garage. I understood, that is more important. They promised Monday. I said fine. We're in no hurry just call the night before so we can move cars.

Monday when I left at 7:15 am, the house was serene, the cars were moved and I didn't see any tree guys. This was Jack and Stanley


Oh so happy in the yard, not a care in the world . . .

No comments: