Monday, April 18, 2011

Mr. Fox

We have a fox in the neighborhood. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, in fact I know that I did because the first time I heard it one night it freaked me out until I realized what it was. I thought it would move on in a few days. We live just about a mile from a huge park with a lake and birds, and eagles and hawks and mice, etc. I figured it was just checking out the neighborhood.

Mr. Tinkerpro called me at work last Wednesday to say that when he got home around 3, Mr. Fox was sitting on our back porch looking in the window. He didn't say where kitties were, but I knew they were in the house. Hmmm. Well that was a little startling but I figured what the heck. He said it was a good size and looked healthy.

He was talking to the guy next door about it, who has also seen it and agrees it is healthy looking. Said guy next door has a dog so Mr. Fox doesn't go into his yard often. The kids on the other side of us (kids being a relative term, they are in their late 20s with two small children) said if we shot it, it would be fine with them. I responded that no, that wouldn't do. While my state is very liberal on guns in general, my county has a ban on shooting them off except at an approved range. Unfortunately, my backyard has not yet been declared an approved range.

The lady behind us (who I wish Mr. Fox would eat) got into the conversation and said how it is a menace, dangerous and "they" ought to do something. Yeah. "They" don't really care as long as it isn't attacking anyone and is healthy looking. They are not nocturnal and easily adapt to their environment. After all the park use to be bigger before the neighborhoods went up. I can say that because I remember when the neighborhood I currently live in wasn't here (and my house is over 30 years old) the main road was just 2 lanes and I could ride a horse up it. But that is for another day. Mr. Tinkerpro said when he finished the conversation with all the neighbors he went out front and Mr. Fox was sitting at the end of the driveway and just walked away when he saw Mr. Tinkerpro.

This morning, as I often do, I let the cats out when the sun came up around 6ish, they roam the yard checking for nighttime visitors and usually come back in before I leave for work. They also know that I will let them back out at lunchtime if the weather is good. I was in the bathroom putting my face on for the day and heard - not sure if it was the fox, the cat or both. But it didn't sound good. So I grabbed my bathrobe, thinking that the neighbors would go blind if I went out in just my underwear, and as I ran out the door grabbed TinkerSon#2's golf club that for some reason was in the kitchen. Yeah, there's something that is gonna scare a fox huh?

Jack was plastered against the back door and came in as I was going out. Mr. Fox was in the middle of the yard. I couldn't see Stanley. But I didn't see any fur laying around either so that was a good sign. Mr. Fox just looked at me, and yes, he is healthy looking, clear eyes, shiny coat, not hungry looking at all. Then he casually walked over to the fence where it is broken down and hopped into the neighbor's yard (the one I wish he would eat). I went out front thinking Stanley was in the front, called, looked, nope. So I went into the back again and called him.

Stupid cat had crawled under the shed. Mr. Fox could easily fit under the shed too. And if Mr. Fox is really Ms. Fox and has built her den under the shed and now has babies that would make Stanley a REALLY stupid cat. I had hoped that the cats, if confronted by by Mr. Fox would climb a tree. In Stanley's case, he likes to sit on the roof, so I assumed he would climb up there.

Apparently not.

No comments: