Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Modern Times

We had no internet at work today. We had no phones but they figured out how to fix that part. Sometimes I can go a whole weekend day without bothering with internet. Sure, I check my email early in the morning on Saturday, but I can often go until Sunday before I get on again.

However. The state and college, in it's wisdom, decided last year that more things must be paperless, and we must use a central system to access those pesky things like time sheets, forms to be filled out and submitted, purchasing, checking existing contracts, etc. It is extremely difficult to do your job that consists of being on the internet 75% of the time when there is no connection. So then, since I had to do some research, I thought oh, I'll just go home for lunch and use the computer at home. Worked great. Then I though, I'll check my work email and answer what I can so I look more efficient. Yep. Right. You couldn't access your email remotely either. Bummer.

And of course, they couldn't shut down the offices because classes are still in session, finals start in a week. Oh yeah, the classes are encouraged to use the Blackboard system for communication and some classes are actually taught through that, as well as the instructors providing study material. Guess what else didn't work today.


I have two weeks worth of work to do (which I just got assigned yesterday) that MUST be done by Friday. Right. Good thing I'm from the old ages when we only had telephones, selectric typewriters, carbon paper and tha fax machine was a drum deal and you had to stand there and put one piece of paper on the drum at a time, wait for the wire arm to "read" it, and then send the next page. Ah progress!

No comments: