Thursday, April 7, 2011

For a Girl

For the most part I like my boss. I understand him because I've been working with men like him all my life. The '80s was a tough decade to work in. He's a little bit of a pompus ass, but fair and reasonable. You come to work on time every day, do your job, maybe a little extra, be nice to your co-workers, get the job done and leave at the end of the day. Everything is hunky dory. If you go that little extra step, it is noticed. Not always commented on, but noticed. The more you prove you can do, the more work he gives you. And he gives you the freedom to do the job. No micro managing. No suggestions unless you ask for help. No interfering. If he wants something done a specific way, then he tells you up front and you either do it his way or have excellent justification of why your way would be better. He will listen. Sometimes he will agree, sometimes he won't. I know how to read guys like him. I'm willing to make some concessions for him because for the most part he IS a nice guy. Sometimes he can't help being male. I can respect him, and at the same time laugh at him.

So, now that I've pissed some of you off because I chose to "play the game". I am actually amused by it after all these years, with age comes the knowledge that you can't take everything too serious and you have got to have fun. So now I'm gonna really torque you.

Because I am who I am, and he is who he is, and for the most part we can read each other very well. We can have a professional yet, fun working relationship, and we banter, almost like we've been married for a long time and still actually like each other. Boss and I were discussing an event tomorrow that is a big deal. And we found out today that one of the key players (who has a part in the dog and pony show) won't be there so boss is going to have to improvise and cover. He posed a question about how to do something, and was concerned about a possible screw up. I provided a perfectly logical answer to his delemma. He paused, looked at me and said . . .

You know, sometimes you're really smart. For a girl.

No comments: