Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Psychosomatic

Last fall I came up with tennis elbow.   It is painful.   I went to the doctor after about a month becuase I thought Arthur had come to visit.  Alas no, she said, wrote me a prescription and said if it wasn't bettern in 6 weeks to come back and she would do a cortosone shot.    No, I said you won't.  She looked at me and said, well that is the cure.   I said No, I'll learn to live with it if it doesn't get better.    I duitfully went and got my pills.    And, becuase I rarely take medication, I read the phamplet that came with the little bottle.   Then I threw the bottle away.    The side effects were far worse than the illness.   I bought a sports band thingy for my elbow, took Advil or Motrin on a daily basis and slowly have gotten better.    

Then I saw an article about how athletes wear magnetic bracelets for their aches and pains.   Humm, well, it was worth a try so I looked on line and saw a few that weren't too ugly.  Before I ordered one though I saw them in WalMart for $5.   Perfect price, not too ugly and worth a try.

Now, does it really work or is it all in my head?    How do I know?   I must admit that my arm has felt better the last few days and doesn't ache.   So what do I do, wear it for a week then notf or a week?   Am I being easier on my arm because I've got the bracelet on and therefore consciencious of  it? 

I'll have to try and remember to keep track for the rest of the summer.

No comments: