Sunday, May 30, 2010

Happy Birthday to My Boys

Today is the boys' birthday.  Identical twins.  Gemini.   23 years.  Seems like such a grown up age, but alas not for my crew. 

Two nights ago, they reverted to something they did when they were younger, thumb wrestling, in the hall making this strange bird-like noise.   I'd happily rather forgotten about it, because when they were younger (and shorter) it was kinda funny -  in a  if you put a hole in the wall, I'll kick your ass kind of way.   Imagine now, 6 feet tall men (so they keep telling me), thumb wrestling in the hall.   They started in their old bedroom which is now the guest room - the one who still lives at home moved into his sister's room years ago when she moved out. 

Finally after a few minutes, I had to break it up and try to remember all my mommy skills for dealing with unruly 10 year old boys.   First I got between them, because eventhough they are waaaay taller than me, and could hoist me over a shoulder with ease, they are still afraid of me.   No, I didn't raise any dummys.   So first it was "don't hurt mom" from one of them.   Sweet.    I handed one some clean folded clothes and said go put these in your room.  Stay in your room and don't touch your brother when he walks by your door.   I said to the other one, as soon as your brother goes to his room, take that nasty thing in your hand (a sheet back from Iraq and so full of sand it was destined for the trash)  to the trash.   Do not stop in your brother's room on your way down the hall, do not taunt him.  Go straight to the kitchen. 

Like a dummy I went into my room for a minute.   Oh the noise.   I looked down the hall.   The one in his room, is standing mostly in the hall, his brother is past the door, but right there.   They are fighting over that nasty sheet which is apparently big enough for each to hold on to while whipping the ends at each other. 

I cleared my throat.   They both stopped and turned to look at me.   The one who was sent to his room said "what?   I haven't left my room"    And in fact, he had one foot still inside the door.   Technically he was right, I forgot the instruction about no body parts crossing the threshold.   The other said, "what?  I'm not touching him."  At that point I gave up and went back to, if you put a hole in the walls or break anything you're dead meat.

I'm so glad they get along. 

1 comment:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Nice! Isn't it good to have them home? sigh!