Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sock Progress

I have been dutifully working on my socks and watching some of the olympics.   I don't typically watch figure skating because I find it too stressful . . .  will he/she fall when coming down?  Trip on an ice rut?   You get the picture.   I can however apparently watch ice dancing and the faster a skiier goes, the better in my book.   I guess in their book too huh?

So yesterday morning as I was rushing out the door to catch the bus I realized I needed a knitting project.   Grabbed the socks.   Well maybe I can I thought.   Of course these are the same socks I've never made before, started two at a time on two circular size US0.   I also need my reading glasses for these and my ott light.   What?  Am I really that optomistic?   Apparently.    So I'm slowly knitting along, sans glasses becuase of course they are next to my knitting chair, very glad the sun is shining brightly.    Then the bus took the turn too fast.   In my effort to not slide off the seat I grabbed the bar I was so smartly sitting next to.   I also dropped 5 stitches.    Off those US 0.   That I'm trying to knit really tight because I'm still on the toe - yes after almost a week, I'm still on the toe.  Get over it.   Arggggg

I actually was able to pick them up after a few starts and stops and move on.   I was told by my wonderful sister to mark where you start and never stop a row until you get back to that spot, no matter what.   So I knitted two rounds, checked that I had picked up all the stitches successfully and put it in my bag.  

On the way home I was really optomistic.   I pulled my knitting out knowing I could get at least one round done.   I started and got the first quarter done, grabbed the yarn for the second toe . . .  yep.   In my eagerness to get morning knitting done, I used the same yarn for both socks.   Somehow I don't think they make shoes that can be connected by socks.  Nor have they figured out how we can successfully walk with our feet linked by 1 inch of yarn.    I seriously tried to figure out if I could cut the yarn, and somehow make it so it didn't unravel and just stayed together.  seriously?  

So away it went back into the bag and when I got home, before my wonderful glass of wine, I knitted back very carefully and started again. 

Off this morning to the jewelry show.  will pick those suckers up this afternoon and post picture tomorrow of progress.  

1 comment:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Ouch! But I promise that you WILL get the hang of it. . .eventually!

I don't usually do 2-at-a-time anymore, because I must finish the round every time I take them out, and sometimes I don't have that much time. . .socks are my "pick that up for a minute" knitting most of the time.