Saturday, June 5, 2010

Travel

I can say this because I'm going alone . . .

Why is trying to get away for a few days such a pain?   I've reconsidered about 5 times since this morning.   But I really want to go see my mom and since I'm suppose to start a new job in less than a week, I figured I needed to go see her now or it would be the end of the year before I could ask for time off.   It really isn't good form to ask for vacation as soon as you start a job, is it?

I love my mom.  I love visting with her.   Mostly because while she wants me to do things for her it's fun stuff, like cleaning a closed, organizing her jewelry . . . I really don't like this, why don't you take it now?   and NO cooking, cleaning or listening to children/spouse complain about anything.    She lives in a retirement community, meals are provided in in the dining room.   When the menu looks yucky we go out to a restaurant in town.  There are yarn stores galore, the mountains to look at, and quiet.   I'm not old enough to live there yet, but my sister is, and when she was there last month we all thought she'd move in  and never go home  . . . she still has a 16 year old at home . . . 'nuff said.

So I took today with stride, I needed to pack, I needed to run a few errands, go to the library to get a book or two on tape for my drive (8 hours) and hit a few stores to get last minute things for my DS who is leaving Monday to go back to his duty station after enjoying (kinda) 30 days of leave after deployment.    He just needs stuff, like new sheets, cups, the usual.   He's stopping to visit my mom on his way (and yes actually using her apartment as a one night hotel, but that's okay)  His brother is driving with him and the flying home next weekend.   I had a plan, and it was doable.   My DD called and wanted to walk.  sure, I can fit that in, we do 5 miles in just a skoch over an hour, no problem, I just need to run to a few places, buy some new black pants and get my hair cut.   pants and haircut are in the same shopping center.  I can adapt my schedule.  I've become the queen of change/adapting and not getting frazzled.

Then as I was getting ready to leave, I let the cat in.   He seemed to be having a problem walking.   I watched him for about 15 minutes and then decided like with a baby who can't talk to you, maybe I should call the vet now while I know they are open, instead of tomorrow when I'd have to take him to the emergency vet.   I'm not exactly sure where it is and I know it costs A LOT.   So I called the vet, explained the problem, they said bring him in at 11:10,  you may have to wait a few minutes but we'll squeeze him in.  I I have an hour and a half before I need to take him.  Okay, so I ran to the dollar store and the library, two things off my list.  went back home, looked around, reminded myself that it will all get done, put myself in  "flylady mode" and forged forward.   Took him to the vet, and on the way DS called to say, could I get him a trailer today?   The place he called didn't have any.   Oh  by the way, he his brother and dad were off playing for the morning.  

Of course, I got on the 800 number with Uhaul, was on hold forever, talked to a nice girl, listened to my poor cat howl because he doesn't like riding in the car, then while I was almost done with uhaul, I cut the call off.    Have I mentioned how much I REALLY HATE my new cell phone?   but I digress.    I had to call the 800 number back, the girl hadn't saved anything so I had to start all over with someone new.  

But the vet didn't make me wait long,  the next appointment  wasn't there yet, Jack performed as always, growling and hissing at the vet, as she checked him out, took xrays and decided he was probably bruised, but nothing was broken and no apparent internal injuries.    So there was 160 I hadn't planned on spending today.  but on the other hand, as the children have pointed out on numerous occasions, sometimes I take better care of the cat than I ever did them.   But, they could tell me if they fell and broke an arm, tooth, foot, etc.   Jack can only walk funny and growl.  and he curls up in my neck at night to sleep.   WHich is great excpet if he sneezes.   And he's one of those cat's the drools when the purr.   I shower every morning.

So went to get a haircut.  I love my hairdresser, he does a great job 99% of the time, but he overbooks.  You go, you get washed, then you sit sometimes for  A LONG TIME, if they'd said that, I coud have run my mall errands while waiting for him to finish the person before me.  but no.     At the pants store, I took too many items into the dressing room, but the attendant was a little girl, so I just stared her down.   5 different styles of black pants in two different sized because apparently walking 5 miles at least 4 days a week is making me lose weight - yay  me!   But I did buy two pair, on sale for $37.00 not bad.   

Now I should be done, remind me to tell you about the lady in the shoe store.

Happy trails . . . .