Sunday, November 23, 2008

early morning phone calls

I have semi-adult children now. two live at home, one lives half the country away. The ones that live at home still have to tell me when they expect to be home if they go out, or if they don't expect to be home at all. Either way is fine. And I ask them to wake me up when they come home since I often wake in the middle of the night and then start aworrein. My son's room is down the hall from mine, if he forgets to tell me he's home and I wake up at 2 am all I have to do is look down the hall and see if his door is open or closed. A closed door means he is safe and well. May daugther sleeps down stairs. If I don't remember her coming in as expected, I will walk to a front window and look out to see if her car is home or not. If someone isn't home as expected I have been know to call or text a cell phone with the exact words

You'd better be laying dead in a ditch since you're not home

Sometimes that backfires and someone crawls out of bed to come up and tell me why no they are not in fact laying dead in a ditch. They are laying quite happily in their bed thankyouverymuch.

I was up at 4am saturday. No special reason, just couldn't sleep. So I made my coffee, got my paper and was enjoying a nice quiet morning. at 5:45 am my phone rings. I quickly run down the list of family members, I know 3 are safe and snug in their bed. That leaves my mom 10 hours away and my son 20 hours away. My heart didn't stop, but my blood pressure went up and I leapt for the phone.

My son.
My First question is are you okay?
Well of course I'm okay mom, why wouldn't I be?
Oh, I dunno. Because you are calling me before 6 am?
Oh. Guess What?
I hate those games, they never come out well. But I bit. What?
I made my first arrest last night, the guy was way big and two of us tackled him! I had to take him to the hospital to be checked out then to the jail! (read I'm 10 here)
Oh yeah.

Can't give details, his employer wouldn't like that.

I may start turning all phones off at night.

No comments: