Monday, January 16, 2012

Long Weekends

Ah, another three day weekend, just after being off for a little over a week during christmas.      That week was spent doing nothing but sleeping and drinking tea, mostly because I got sick although I did manage to get out a few times if even just for lunch, or in one case, breakfast, with a friend.  Little knitting got done, and what was done promptly was ripped back.    Six rows in, four rows out.   I finally put the stupid thing down and walked away.   

So my plan for this weekend was get some knitting done, make a few pots of soup to freeze and little else.   Good in theory execution wasn't as successful, and why did I expect anything different.   Haven't I learned yet?   Apparently not.  I did happily spnd most of the weekend at home, and I did get some knitting done, and not quite as much ripping out, but I didn't get the laundry room cleaned and organized.   I did spend about 30minutes in there but hardly made a dent.    I spent some time in one of the guestthrow it in there room, and you can at least see the floor, but the dust bunnies are still in residence.  

Then there was today.   The joke in my family is the number of vehicles that we own.   At one time, there were 10 and the insurance company gave us a fleet discount.    It is the way when you have teenagers, car enthuastists and they all own their own vehicles.   If they paid for them, and could afford the insurance and gas, who was I to argue?   TinkerHusband bought another "project" car in December.   I didn't fuss too much, he didn't pay much for it, and we discussed it first.   But I pointed out that he wasn't yet done with the current "project car" that is suppose to be mine when he is done.    "Almost done" he keeps saying.   Right.    Let me assure you, it is not.    So today he decided to take the new project car to the body shop because he doesn't want to do the work and it needs to be done now.    He didn't even make it out of the neighborhood before calling me to come pick him up.   Transmission blew.  Super.   So I took inventory.   My truck is not a happy camper and I talk nice to it every day hoping to get another year out of it.   If it goes then I have to decide on fixing it or replacing it.   And I don't have the time to look for another vehicle that will piss me off to have to buy.   There is no reason in my opinion for vehicles to cost what they do.   Then there is TinkerHusband's everyday car.   The one that is also old and it's usefulness is questionable.   That one will go straight to the junk yard when it leaves him.  There is the snow truck.   So named because it is super useful in the snow.   If it got more than 8 miles per gallon, I'd drive it more, but alas, it doesn't so I don't.   There is TinkerSon's car that he blew the rear out of last month.   That is sitting in the driveway waiting for him to save the money to get the parts to fix it, then there is the question of no room in the garage and we all know he isn't going to work outside when the high is in the 30s.   There is the semi-new car that I hate to drive mostly because of the terrible possibility of door nicks.   God forbid the car get parked where it might get dinged.   It doesn't go out in the rain either.   Worthless is what that one is, but TinkerHusband promised when his commuter car gives it up, he will drive it full time.   Then there is the first car TinkerHusband bought all by himself.  brand spankin new '68 RoadRunner.   At one time it was a thing of beauty, ran top speed, back in the day all the county cops knew the car.   Now it is sad and neglected, and parts to replace worn out - rusty pieces are just plain 'spensive.   Plus while it was great to drive when I was 20, now with no power steering, no power breaks and that huge hunk of metal, it is a little more difficult to drive than I care for.   TinkerHusband would sell it if the right offer came along, but the boys say no, don't sell.   By the time they can afford to fix it up, there will be nothing left to fix and no parts to be had.

I like my truck.  It sits up high, it is safe, it has 4 wheel drive for what little bad weather we get, and well, I like it.  It took a really hard hit a few years ago, hard enough to bend the frame, but we were fine, narry a problem.   A little body work and it is back to it's old self.   Well, it has extra "quirks" now and gets crank when someone else drives it and doesn't respect it's quirks, but I think that is what I like best.    The CD player gave it up last summer.   The tape deck doesn't work either, so it is just the radio and my ipod but tht's okay.    My actual commute to work is so short I could walk if I wanted to, it's only 3 miles and I suspect it wouldn't take much longer than it does to drive given the traffic situation.    Which is the other reason I haven't looked for a new vehicle too hard.   We have things to drive if it is raining/snowing and frankly, I could and should walk.

So what do you drive?

No comments: