Sunday, January 22, 2012

A good Weekend to Stay Inside

Which is exactly what I did yesterday.   Woke up to icy/snowy roads and yard.   Truck was covered and there was no place I had to be so desparetly that I wanted to clean it  off.    I tried to convince the cats that it  was too nasty to go out, but no, they of course know better.    After about 30 minutes I called out the back door and no one came running .   Hmmm.  Odd.   So I opened the front door and there was jack, pressed against the door so close he fell in when it opened.   I looked around and Stanley was about 20 feet away in the yard.    Apparently my conversation with him about ice, slick, furry feet and a hill did not register with him.  He had a horrid time getting up the slope to the door.   Of course, if he had gone toward the house, he could have walked where there was nothing, but no, he slowly made his way up, an about 4 feet from the sidewalk, he decided to leap for it.    Yeah.   Well, those feet slipped right out from under him as he jumped.   And still his weight didn't break the ice.    I did very well not to laugh at him because he looked worried, I also didn't go rescue him because is was in my socks.     Once he made it in, he didn't want to go out again.    Today is not an option, no sun, no warm, and it was flurrying a little while ago.

I came home from the market and noticed workers across the street at the house for rent.   It is nice, the former tenants moved out before christmas, the painters were there christmas week, the for rent sign was up before the 1st.   However, I am seriously wondering about the management company/landscapers.    I will be the first to admit that growing plants is not my forte in life.    I put things in the garden that I hope will come back the next year, and they must survive on their own.    I will water if we have a really dry summer (and I remember) but otherwise they are on their own.   And no house plants for me.   They commit suicide before coming ino the house, because they just somehow know that I will kill them anyway.   But back to the rental house.    I heard chainsaws and looked.   They are cutting down all the green boxwood bush things.   They have about 14 replacement plants lined up in the driveway in what looks to be 5 gallon buckets (maybe only 3 gallon).    They have leaf blowers pointed to the ice/snow as they are chain sawing down the old stuff.   

Even me, the non-gardener, knows that if you plant something in the frozen ground, and can they even dig a hole deep/wide enough, it probably isn't going to survive the rest of winter.   Especially given the fact that the front of that house gets no sun.   Ever.   I'll have to remember to take pictures when they are done.

No comments: