Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Roommate

There is a couple, we will call them Fred and Ethyl. They are friends with TinkerDaughter and TinkerSon. In fact Fred and TinkerSon went to school together. Fred is a wonderful young man. He still has that boyish smile and endearing charm of a 16 year old con artist. And I say that in the most loving of ways. Ethyl on the other hand is more like Miss Hannagan and Cruella Deville. A most difficult and obnoxious woman. The first time we met her, in my own home, she insulted MrTinkerPro and then got attitude. No. Not invited back.

Then there is Fritz. Fritz rents a room from Fred and Ethyl. Fritz is a nice young man, seems to always be clean and tidy. Of course I like him because a few weeks ago, when I got out of bed at 2 am to collect him and TinkerSon after they had been enjoying a party and didn’t think driving home was a spectacular idea. My kid. At least he could think. Fritz bought me a box of chocolate as a thank you. Touched me it did. The box went straight to my arse, but that’s another story altogether.

Recently there has been tension on the Mertz’ home. Ethyl has decided she really doesn’t care for Fritz. Mostly I suspect because Fritz reminds her that he rented a room and his obligation is to keep it tidy, not mess up the common areas and not eat her food. He has done those things as required. He also tells Ethyl to take a flying leap on a regular basis because he won’t jump when she tells him to. Apparently Friday night she decided that Fritz needs to go. So this morning she told him he has 30 days to get out. I didn’t inquire as to if she was giving the security deposit back and I would assume that he will, especially since it is her idea that he leave. He isn’t that upset about it, he has been wondering how to get out of the lease anyway.

So TinkerSon and Fritz have decided that they can afford a place together. Between the two of them they have two televisions, two beds two lap tops, 3 vehicles and clothing. TinkerSon said they would take the furniture in the playroom since I’ve been wanting to get rid of it. Play room furniture that came from Japan 55 years ago, it has been in almost everyone’s first home as “starter” furniture three generations now. It really needs to retire. I offered the table in my knitting room since it is an old kitchen table, they can get chairs from salvation army. I don’t know what they will do for kitchen stuff, that they will have to figure out themselves. TinkerDaughter has a microwave she might let them borrow.

MrTinkerPro has been wanting TinkerSon to move for about a year. Says it’s time. I always stall about it. He is handy to have around because he is tall and strong. On the other hand, I never sleep well when he goes out until he comes home, he doesn’t pick up after himself well, and he eats a lot. Which is why I hesitate to tell him to get out, I know what his grocery bill will be like. On the other hand, I could re-do the house and get new furniture and re-paint and reclaim my house.

The boys were in the basement tonight making plans, looking at possible apartments on line, making appointments to visit them. The horrible, wicked, awful though crossed my mind. Why not just rent a room to Fritz?

I’m sick.

No comments: