Wednesday, November 4, 2009

This is a Test

Sometimes, I astound my self in my dumbassness. A few weeks ago, I had enough at work. I quit. There were words of course, I'd been there 6 years. We had become friends as well as employer/employee. I did it all in the office. I never complained, just did more. (see dumbass comment above) But I'm going back to school to finish my degree which is a very good thing. I've been working on it for almost 30 years on and off. Now the kids are grown, I've got the time and finally mostly the desire.

Employer spent more and more time either networking (i.e. "visiting") with clients and strangers or at home "working" While employer use to come to the office around 10 or 11 in the morning, now it is 2 or 3 pm. And that's okay, because it is employer's and employer can do whatever employer wants. But then I was being held hostage in the evenings. by 5pm I'm done, I get up early, work at home, get to the office around 8am and at the end of the day I'm ready to leave. Employer however parks in the driveway blocking me in. Every day it's I've gotta go, can you move your car? yeah, I'll be ready to leave in a minute. which turns into 30 or more minutes. not nice. and while I'm on my whinning streak, 6 years, no raise. grief if I take a few days off every 3 months (4 day weekend) to visit family. never call in sick. got a few bonuses the first 2-3 years, which made up for no annual raise, but then as the economy tanked, the bonuses stopped. With a vague "I'm going to take care of you if/when I ever sell the business. And we can retire and live together im my country home, won't that be fun?"

Well, in a work no, that won't be fun. I take care of you now, why would I want to do it when I don't have to? harsh? yeah, maybe.

But that isn't the test part of this. I've been sending my resume out looking for another job, one that will fit in with classes, be less stressful and appropriate for an old lady. I've sent lots of resumes out, not much response, which is okay, but I did go on a cold call last week. The lady was nice, said she'd be doing call backs this week. This morning at about 7:30 she called to say she wanted to interview me and one other person and was I still interested. Well, yeah. I'm not sure, but I haven't had any offers and I'm getting nervous although I shouldn't be, and what the heck, it will either work or not work. SO I said I'd be glad to come in, but I couldn't do it today, could we do it tomorrow morning? She said sure, she was interviewing the other person at 7:30 could I come in around 7? I said sure, I'm up at 5 and that isn't a problem, but maybe we should make it 6:45 so that she and I didn't run into each other. SHe said well, I'm here aroud 5 so that would be fine, and why don't we make it 6:30 so there is enough time. Absolutely I replied.

So, now I have to leave my home at 6:15 am for a job interview I'm not sure I even want.

I am a dumbass.

No comments: