Thursday, November 19, 2009

Public Transportation

Oh the adventure. At least it isn't Monday.

Because I snapped last month and quit my job, I've been thinking about the next road. In the meantime I decided I could "temp" for awhile until things settled down. I figured the holidays are coming up, people want to be off. There is this huge scare about the flu - which funny now I'm not hearing about so much becuase of the senate health bill, idiot killers, etc. but I digress.

I got a job in town which means taking the bus and then subway or driving. Not driving, the traffic doesn't bother me but the $20 a day to park seems really wrong. Although I've been taking the train and that is costing me almost $9 a day, but hubby has been dropping me off in the morning and picking me up at night so it is still about an hour from home to office and we're spending some time together. Plus I've got 40 minutes of uninterrupted knitting time each way on the train - score!

So last night he says to me, I'm going to leave before 7 tomorrow, do you want to go in early or take the bus from the house? duh. So this morning I drove down to the end of the neighborhood since it is raining and I wanted to catch the bus at the main road so coming home would give more options. Got to the stop, bus came in less than 5 minutes, no stops to pick anyone up and we were on our way to the train station. Only got two rows of knitting done though. I haven't ridden the bus to the train station in almost 20 years. In fact I haven't worked across the river in almost 20 years. I remembered my first day here why I chose to work on my side of the river. But there you go. So any way, got to the station, looked around and oh my has it changed. I was smart enough to figure out where to pick up the bus this evening (lower level) but the couldn't figure out how to get to the subway entrance. LOTS of security at this location. Finally had to ask someone. Found my way, and lo and behold, there was a train just sitting there waiting for me :)

It was the wrong train. Oh it went into town, just that the first stop was at the other end of town. They use to have huge maps in each car at each door showing you the different lines, and stations. Now they have one teeny tiny map at the door of which you can't see because of the lady sitting in front of it and I didn't want to seem like a lost tourist or someting. Had to maintain that air of "i'm cool and do this all the time". Fortunately the next station transfers to other lines, so I got off, went down stairs and another train was pulling into the station just for me. Fortunately this time it was one that I wanted. Had to ride back 5 station stops, didn't knit for fear I'd mess something up or forget to get off.

I still got to work 25 minutes early.

oh well

No comments: