Monday, September 29, 2008

Clean Clothes

I've been accused on more than one occasion of being tight. Not that I won't spend money, but why spend more than you need to or at all if you can do without or make something work?

We bought a new washing machine 15 years ago more or less. Over the years, it has been used and abused, as the kids learned to do their own laundry, much like when the learned to drive a stick shift, there were errors. They broke the agitator twice (and burnned the clutch out of my car once). Bob has fixed it on more than one occasion both the agitator and clutch. I even fixed it once when he went fishing, there were no clean clothes and it didn't feel the need to work. Having helped him often enough, I figured it couldn't be that hard, ended up taking out the part that keeps the lid locked and it is has worked ever since (except for those new adgitators).

I finally had enough and announced that it was time to admit defeat and get a new machine. I spent a week looking for a washer. well actualy only one day, saw what I wanted, went back with the spouse - who then copped an attitude because he didn't want to spent 90 to have it deivered and they had some lame rebate of a 90 visa card. Don't want a stinkin visa card, just give me the money back. Then I went on a quest to find another washer. He said go buy the first one and we'll pick it up. HA! no one in this house has the time or inclination or the desire to pull a back in order to have clean clothes.

Finally Sears has saved the day once again and why didn't I just go there first? Went into the store at 9 pm friday (becaue of course what else would anyone do on a friday night?) and by 9:20 was writing a check for a spanking brand new machine 70 delivery/take away fee and thy will send me a check back for the 70. Then they said sunday deilvery? but I said oh no, I'd never get the basement clean in time for sunday delivery - WHO IN THE HECK DELIVES ON SUNDAY????? that is awsome and I would have snapped at it in a heart beat if it wasn't for that tiny little issue of a messy basement. So, they said fine, we'll call you sunday for a monday time. Got my time of 9 - 11.

Remembered when they told me that about my new refrigerator a few years ao, they showed up at 5 minutes to 7 . . . in the morning. . . . I heard the truck while I was in the shower and hadn't emptied the refrigerator yet becuase hello. the sun isn't up yet. and actually they did wait until about 7:15 when the sun was up to knock on the door and I bet my neighbors LOVED that truck rumbling out side at o' dark thirty. But I digress.

My basement is clean, the cute guy called at 9:10 to say they would be here in 5 minutes. They were, they took the old one, put in the new one and were gone by 9:35. I am using the washer first before any adult child has the opportunty to break the new machine. it is quet, BIG and for today, life is good

No comments: