Sunday, January 4, 2015

Don't Neglect Yourself


Resolution:  Don’t neglect yourself:   You are the one person you can neither leave, nor escape, so invest in your relationship with yourself.  Take yourself out for coffee, get to know yourself.
Well, I am actually sitting at my desk with coffee, and I’m getting to know myself in ways I’d prefer to ignore.   I am committed to getting in shape.    Haven’t been in good physical shape for close to 30 years.    Oh, not horrible, but not good either.   I thought “when I turn 50” I’ll make sure I am in the best physical shape of my life.   I did actually GET a physical when I turned 50 and nothing horribly wrong with me showed up.   Oh, I could reduce my cholesterol a tad, but all in all, you’re good to go was the diagnosis.    

Then of course life and outside stressors got in the way.   

With sweet pea’s arrival I declared that I would get in good shape so that I could chase him around, get down on the floor and play with him and be the fun grandma.    Well, after a day with him my back aches and I need a long nap.
So again, starting last month, I re-declared I was going to get this done and change my lifestyle to suit me.   I re-connected my bodybuddy so that I can track my activity.    I have successfully logged in my food for the past three days (yay me!).    I ordered yet another exercise program and this morning sat down with the on-line part – because the CD's haven't arrived yet – and filled out the stats.    I have to take a before picture.   Yipee.   Think I’ll leave my face off of it.   The measurements were demoralizing enough.   Although in my defense, for the past year I decided to control my weight with eating alone and not focus on the exercise so much.    How’d that work for me?    Well, I only gained 5 pounds, so I know that my eating won’t have to change drastically along with my workout program….which has been non-existent to date.   One change at a time.   Right?

No comments: