Sunday, October 2, 2011

Coffee

Coffee is the beginning of my morning. It has consistently been the start of my morning for oh so many years. Except when I was pregnant, or really really really really sick, I have coffee every morning. The coffeemaker is ready to go before I go to bed, all I have to do is hit start in the morning.

There is a routine every morning, Jack stands on my chest if he thinks I'm oversleeping, thus starving his fat belly. I walk down the hall to the kitchen, push the on button on said coffee maker, feed the cats and empty the dishwasher. All this is accomplished while I hear the bubble bubble bubble of my coffee maker happing greeting me.




This morning was no different, exept it is Sunday, so Jack deemed it a day that I could sleep as long as I wanted (as long as it wasn't past 5:45). So I did my thing, like always. Except darkness was coming from the coffee maker. And it wasn't the darkness of a full clear pot of coffee. So I did what any normal person would do, I looked at it again, pulled the refrigerator away from the wall (the coffee maker is plugged into the same outlet as the refrigerator) all the while telling myself that the fridge was working quite happily, and really if it wasn't wouldn't you be more pissed about the possibility of having to buy a new fridge today instead of a coffee maker? But no, I was focused on no coffee. Naturally I plugged the maker into another outlet, because obviously the fridge faries are keeping power on to my refrigerator.

Nope. Nada. Dead in the water (hahaha)

Ponder. push buttons more, then wait, what? The hot water maker side works? WTF????? Ponder some more. Okay, you use to have a melita maker, so why not use the same process? I heated the water in the hot water heater, then poured the water into the coffee grounds on the other side, and . . . coffee.

Ponder ponder ponder. I'd really rather not have to spend money on a coffee mater today. No, they aren't that much in the big scheme of things, but I really like this one. I liked that I could make hot water on one side for tea or other hot drink. I liked the timer feature and clock, except oh yeah, now that I think about it, the clock broke about 4 months ago and I couldn't set it anymore. But it is my coffee maker. I like coffee. I don't think they make the melika system anymore, and I don't own a tea kettle. And this one was on sale for about 100 bucks 18 months ago, and I kinda thought that a Cuisinart would last for years and years. I expect a $18 special sale coffee maker to last me a year. I'm okay with that. I REALLY expected this one to last forever.

But WAIT! For some reason I never got rid of this.

I know that it was because every time I saw it in the back of the cabinet, where you have to squat and bend over to see, and the two times a year I actually did that, I said to myself, nope, it doesn't take up much room, and you never know . . .

I'll be cleaning it up this morning and checking it out, because if, while it has been in storage for the past 15 years or so, it has decided that it doesn't want to work anymore, that it likes retirement, I'll have to replace it too.

Here's the counter space I have now gained where the coffee maker USE to be.

1 comment:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

Where is the SAD button?
I am sorry for your loss.
We coffee drinkers gotta support each other...want to come over for some of my coffee?