Friday, March 19, 2010

Sweater

I'm making another sweater.   Maybe I'll finish this one in a timely fashion too - maybe.   My sister and Iwere in Fletcher this fall at the fiber festival and of course when we were done with class, we had to shop.   This festival isn't quite as large as Maryland Sheep & Wool, but all the vendors are in the arena   So cold or rainey, once you're inside, you're good.   In fact this year they expanded to some of the out buidings as well  Way fun. 

Anyway we of course stopped at Brooks Farm to see what we needed and both fell in love with a sample sweater.   I'll find the pattern later.   Then we decided we didn't like the yarn it was made from so hunted and came up with Mas Acero.   In the same color.  

Last night I decided to be a big girl after I'd read an article on swatching and I decided I would actually swatch and do it right for a change.   That means, knitting up a good amount, washing it and then hanging i to dry to see how it does.   The article had a good point that you should was it as you mean to wash the finihsed garment and then when you hang it to dry, weigh down the bottom a tad to see how the yarn will hang when it is done.   As I can attest, I made a sweater and got gague.  Loved the sweater.   By the time it was done it could fit a giant because the yarn was heavy when completed.  It had mohair in it.   It is still waiting for me to frog.

So here's my just before the wash sample.  I started on US 7 and decided that might be a little tight, so switched up to US8 (where the floss is in case you can't tell).   It is still a bit stiff so  I'm hoping that the wash will relax the yarn just a tad.