Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Adventures in Wool






I've decided to try my hand at preparing wool from the beginning through spinnning a fine yarn. Well, fine yarn isn't exactly accurate, but yarn nonetheless. And from the beginning means AFTER it has come off the sheep and some of the gross stuff picked out.

the right picture is 4 days of cold soak, the left picture is draining before going into clean water/soap.



A friend of my sisters bought 350 lbs of wool. That is a lot of wool. She was willing to sell some for a very reasonable price. I was willing to buy some at a reasonable price becuase having never soaked and combed my own wool, we're just not sure exactly how this is going to work. After this first soak, it is definately much cleaner and while it smells a little barn like outside the house right now, I waited until this evening to change the water and though we're not expecting rain in the next few days the smell should be gone before most people go to work in the morning. windows seem to be closed, ac is running, it is good.


Looking forward to seeing how this looks Sunday when it will be time, maybe for a hot wash :)






I picked up 2 5lb bags of romney, one brown and one white. I believe I've soaked the white first, here it is after the first 4 day cold soak. It is looking decidedly white to me. I haven't even opened the other bag yet becuase I'm doing 5 lbs at a time.

No comments: